As a musician or band it is sometimes necessary to change your name. Whether you’ve started a new side project, struck out on your own, or think the band needs a makeover, changing your name on your website is easy. If you need to make a name change, you’ll want to update it in a few places within your website account.
How to update your domain name:
- Once registered, a domain name cannot be altered. You can, however, register an additional domain.
- Click the arrow next to your username in the top right corner of your control panel
- Select ‘Account Details’ from the drop-down menu
- In the ‘Domain Manager’ section of that page, click the ‘Add new domain’ button. You can register a new domain or use one you already own
- We provide one free domain registration per paid account. If you’ve already used your free registration you can pay to register a new domain and then set the new domain as primary. You can then let your old domain expire and we'll renew only the new domain going forward.
How to update your website’s project name:
- From the ‘Edit Content’ tab, click ‘Pages’ on the left side of the screen
- Select ‘Site wide settings’ below the list of pages
- Under the ‘Site profile’ tab, update the ‘project name’ field
- The name indicated here will display in the browser tab at the top of the screen when your site is loaded, and within your Bandzoogle account as the username in the drop-down menu next to the ‘View site’ button. It is also visible when you post a comment in the ‘Community’ tab.
- Click ‘Save’
Note: The project name is used to create your free trial URL (projectname.bandzoogle.com), but the URL will not change if the project name is updated. The trial URL is permanent in our system and cannot be altered. However: once you have registered a free custom domain name through your paid plan -- or added one that you already own -- the trial URL will not be visible to the public. It can only be seen from inside your Bandzoogle account.
How to update your header site title:
- From the ‘Edit Theme’ tab, in the editor bar on the left, edit the text in the ‘Site Title’ field
- Click ‘Save’
You’ll also want to update the content area of your website by replacing any instance of your old name with your new name. (e.g. Homepage, About page, etc.)
Note: It will take time for Google to re-index your pages. We have no control over the time frame but typically it should update on search engine results within a few weeks. You can resubmit your sitemap which may speed up the reindexing process a bit.