This is a guest post by Brian Thompson, aka Thorny Bleeder. Brian is a creative coach and marketing consultant. He co-hosts the Music Biz Weekly and Rock Star Branding podcasts, and curates the DIY Daily, a daily newsletter offering marketing advice, music industry news, social media tips & tools, as well as inspirational & motivational thoughts. In this guest post, Brian talks about an often overlooked resource that musicians could use in creative ways to gain more fans and generate more income. Enjoy!
The #1 Most Overlooked Resource In a Musician's Back Pocket
artists, why don't you do more with your lyrics?
lyrics are uniquely yours. they're an integral piece of your art and they make up 50% of your song (in terms of publishing anyways).
so why don't you do more with them? learn a lesson from what successful online entrepreneurs are doing,
repurpose your content.
that's what the best bloggers do, so why don't you copy what's working for them?
increase your social media interaction and engagement. create new exclusive content to your fans. create new products to fans who want it. what's not to love?
here's some ideas to brainstorm further on:
10 ideas to leverage lyrics to find new fans & increase sales
1. create new typography posters to share online, featuring quotes of your lyrics.
2. create limited edition prints of your most popular and socially voted posters, sell them at gigs and online.
3. create a lyric e-book, offer it as a free download when someone signs up to your newsletter.
4. turn your e-book into a stylish, collectible, limited edition, printed notebook. sell it at gigs and online. autograph it.
5. create t-shirts featuring your lyrics (rather than just your band name). see Jonny Hetherington's "Get Thru Anything" Tee Shirt here: http://buff.ly/Y3cYhz.
6. create lyric videos for all your songs. share 'em.
7. connect deeper with your audience. tell the story behind your words through a series of blog posts, podcasts, newsletters and video blogs.
8. create contests around your lyrics, "fill in the missing word and win!"
9. be creative! turn your words into new merch ideas you can sell. create banners, wall hangings, rings, wristbands, necklaces, charms, pendants, patches, bags, mugs, notebooks, posters, wristbands, prints and rolling papers. whatever works for your audience. but keep it classy and with of good quality.
10. share new lyrics with your subscribers as you write them, offered as a paid premium.
offer your fans some cool souvenirs to buy.
now it's your turn. leave a a comment below and let's brainstorm.
what other creative ideas can we do using our unique words?
Build a stunning band website and store in minutes
- Promote your music on your own unique website.
- Sell music & merch directly to your fans. Keep 100%.
- Grow your fan base with built-in marketing tools.
Free 30 day trial, no credit card needed.