Brian Thompson, aka Thorny Bleeder, describes himself as a Rock n' Roll Brand Architect, Idea Development Engineer, Digital Strategist and Music Marketer. He co-hosts the Music Biz Weekly and Rock Star Branding podcasts, and curates the DIY Daily, a daily newsletter offering marketing advice, music industry news, social media tips & tools, tech, apps & gadgets, inspirational & motivational thoughts. In another thought-provoking guest post, Brian talks about the dangers of overnight success for musicians. Enjoy and leave your comments below!
10 Reasons You Shouldn't Wish For Overnight Success
1. You won't be mentally prepared to deal with all of the fame, fortune, and international attention. You will crash and burn. Remember what happened to Susan Boyle?
2. You won't be well-rehearsed or experienced enough and your performance won't be ready for overnight global attention. Remember what happened to Ashlee Simpson on Saturday Night Live?
3. Critics and fans will eat you alive for every little misstep you do, crushing your soul and spirit in the process. Whether it be a misconstrued comment to reporter, a silly tweet, a questionable photo, or even what you're eating or wearing… you will have a target firmly painted on your forehead for all to take aim at.
4. You will have a very short career. Overnight successes do not create life-long fans. They create flash-in-the-pan, one-hit wonders.
5. You will spend most of your money while being consumed in the excitement and frenzy of your new-found celebrity… only to find yourself broke when your fame suddenly dries up overnight.
6. Substance abuse and addiction is virtually imminent. Your handlers will push you beyond the brink of what your body is able to physically endure in order to squeeze every last dollar out of your celebrity before it fades away. You will be forced to medicate in order to deal with and maintain your frantic schedule.
7. You won't have the wisdom of past experiences to guide you through the confusing and often deceitful industry. You will be taken advantage of; personally, professionally and financially.
8. You won't be able to repeat the same level of success ever again. Having your life hit its peak overnight and then fade away as quickly as it appeared is a soul-crushing event and a recipe for severe mental depression, stress and anguish.
9. True success is all about the continuous journey of improvement and the satisfaction you get from enduring the tough times and accomplishing your dreams and visions through persistence and hard work. If you skip the process and the journey itself, your enjoyment will be short-lived, regardless of your riches.
10. Your values and ideals will be compromised. You will lose control of the very thing you believe in the most… your art. You will have to sign lengthy and confusing contracts with labels and agents and managers and publishers and promoters and attorneys… all of whom will steer your life and career in a direction which benefits their own needs, not yours.
You can read more blog posts by Brian Thompson on his website: www.thornybleeder.com
Follow Brian on Twitter: @thornybleeder
Build a stunning band website and store in minutes
- Promote your music on your own unique website.
- Sell music & merch directly to your fans. Keep 100%.
- Grow your fan base with built-in marketing tools.
Free 30 day trial, no credit card needed.