Posted by Chris
For the past few weeks, Hypebot (a great blog for musicians) has been soliciting feedback from industry people about the idea of giving music away free. He asked me to contribute to the thread. You can find my post here.
It is definitely a controversial topic. One thing is for sure, free music is not going away, so having a strategy to use "free" effectively should be something all musicians are thinking about.
Here are some links to insightful posts about "free" and the future of music.
- Hypebot.com - the Value of Free.
- Podcast with marketing guru Seth Godin at Musician Marketing dot com.
- Why give away your music free? at New Music Strategies.
- Lefsetz Letter about Bandzoogle member Corey Smith.
- Can Indie Acts Give it Away @ the Seattle Weekly.
What do you think? How does "free" fit into your band's strategy?